FORMAL SELF-INTRODUCTION LETTER (SUBMISSION 1)

 

Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,

 

I am Lim Bing Rui and this is the my self-introduction. I am currently a year 1 Mechanical Engineering student in SIT. Prior SIT, I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Engineering Science, under the mechanical stream, in 2020.  

My interest in mechanical engineering stems from a YouTube video I watched in secondary school. The video tackled the problem of astronaut’s physical health on the space station, namely how they can exercise in a zero-gravity environment. On Earth, we use weights as a form resistive force to workout, but in space, we cannot do so. The mechanical solution provided bypasses the use of weights by implementing pistons with sealed ends and its negative pressure. The negative pressure acts as a resistive force for astronauts to exercise with. My interest only grew after the video and started pursuing to be a mechanical engineer.

My strength lies in my outgoing personality, allowing me to thrive in small groups where I can better share my thoughts in an informal setting. On the contrary, my weakness is in speaking to a large crowd, as I tend to stutter in such situations. It is most evident when I am sharing something that I am not confident in.

The first goal I would like to achieve is to be better in public speaking and not just be comfortable in my small groups. As I know that presenting out of my comfort zone will be inevitable. My second goal is to be more concise in my sharing. I tend to overexplain and waste a lot of time, losing my audience’s attention in the process.

What differentiates me from the other students is my positive outlook in life. With a positive attitude, I will brave through any storms that hit me. Hopefully growing as an individual.


Regards,

Lim Bing Rui

Comments

  1. Dear Bing Rui,

    Thank you for sharing your introductory letter. Good effort on the part where you shared more in depth in on how you grew interest in mechanical engineering. In terms of structure, each paragraphs was well-organised. As a reader, I am able to understand the content being brought across. All the given requirements was being addressed on point.

    Overall, I enjoyed reading the introductory letter given each paragraph is short and neat. I hope you will conquer your shortcomings and overcome it from time. Looking forward to interact with you more during our effective communications class.

    Best regards,

    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marcus,

      Thank you for your response. I appreciate it a lot and will keep it dear to my heart.

      Regards,
      Bing Rui

      Delete
  2. Dear Bing Rui,

    Thankyou for your interesting self introduction. It is awesome that a simple scientific Youtube video could make you pursue Mechanical Engineering and I would love to hear more about it. The letter is detailed, well-organized with elaborated strength and weakness. I have enjoyed reading it.

    I hope you can achieve the goals that you have set out for yourself in this module.

    Best wishes,
    YiDa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yida,

      Thank you for your comment. I am astounded that the inspiration that started my mechanical engineering journey amazes you that much.

      Regards,
      Bing Rui

      Delete

  3. Dear Bing Rui,

    It’s has been a pleasure reading your introduction, definitely allowing me to have a better understanding of you. I love how sweet and concise you have portrayed yourself throughout and the further example provided on your interest in mechanical engineering. It has been fascinating!

    However, you may consider having another example regarding your weakness. Perhaps you can be less vague and specify on occasions like project presentation.

    Overall, I really enjoyed reading it, hope you may achieve your goals by the end the module.

    Cheers!
    Zach Chin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zach,

    Thank you for your input. I will be reflecting on it and improve on my next assignment. Feel free to share more with me anytime.

    Regards,
    Bing Rui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bing Rui,

    We discussed this in class earlier, but I just want to state again that I appreciate your effort here. I enjoyed learning about your impetus for studying engineering, your experience with and estimation of your comm skills, and your goals for the module. Do make an effort to revise this when you have a chance.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts